Thursday, May 14, 2009

Welcome!

Having been a bloggaphobe, I am determined to embrace this ' new' networking, as I have decided I need to reach out and connect with other pagan parents, to see how we can share stories and resources. Rather than lurking about on other people's blogs and sites, scavenging bits of wisdom where they are found, I figures that I should add my own two-penneth worth to the bloggosphere.

I have two boys, 3 (S) and 16 months (B), and live in Boston with my long-suffering, hard-working gentle husband. We moved to the US from the UK a few years back, and within a few months of moving here, I was pregnant. Must be something in the water here! I have been a pagan since my teens, since I had a numinous experience, and haven't looked back. I trained in Alexandrian Wicca, and I am Priestess Hierophant in the Fellowship Of Isis, dedicated to Brigid, and I have been a teacher of paganism, magic and the tarot for many years. I am also lucky enough to say that my family also found paganism, and my sis and mum are practitioners of the Craft.

What I have found in raising my own family has lead to some fundemental questions about the nature of pagan spirituality, practice and ethics. In framing the world for my boys at this point, I want them to have a strong, firm foundation in paganism (so that they can rebel against it in their teens if nothing else) and yet I constantly come up against my own limitations.

"Where do the gods live mum?" asks my 3 year old, and I am taken aback by this simple question which requires so much of me in return. Simplicity of explanation being the first. You can fudge things, muddle thought with an adult - a toddler is much less forgiving or understanding of nuance and evasion. "They live everywhere lovie", I reply, "in the sky, the water, the earth, they are all around and within us" I watch S pause, "I dont want to let go of my balloon then, in case the gods get it".

Such moments of challenge and victory are contingent upon my own clear sense of paganism's philosophy, and at times I feel like I am right back at the beginning of my own spiritual journey, or trying to separating the wheat from the chaff of my own practice and outlook. And thats not to mention trying to find time for my own practice!

So I hope this blog will be a circle of clan and kin, far and wide, connected through our journey of pagan parenting...

No comments:

Post a Comment